Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Being a Capricorn is not easy. In college, my roommate Sonja, her black cat (our unofficial roommate, who thankfully ran away on its own and saved us the bad karma of having to let her go) and I, had a big poster outside our room that read, Capricorns are ambitious... but not till noon! Having had first-hand experience in being a mountain goat, I am well aware of how the over-ambition, the desire to do big things and a strong mind can drive us (and others) crazy. Then comes the paradox... the laziness, the procrastination, the sensitivity... and the list goes on.

So to ensure my own sanity and that of others, after a few years of trial and error, I decided to tone down the ambition, let go of the endless desires and become more relaxed. This went on for a while and turned the ambition into calmness (laziness would be more apt). I heard mostly from philanthropists to "just be" (it must have been the God channel at 4 AM after getting home from partying). That seemed like a great tag-line for Calvin Kline, but for humans what does it mean to "Just Be"? Does it mean, that we do nothing and just be? Or just be while we do what we gotta do?

I was on a yoga trail interpreting (rather mis-interpreting) philosophies and they seemed quite twisted. The more I practiced yoga and travelled in the quest of spirituality, the more I wanted to do in life. The more breaks I took to get away, the more I wanted to get back. Then one morning (no, I did not have an epiphany. Though it would have sound more interesting and mysterious to have an Aha moment, but that didn't happen) I felt very strongly about doing all those things that I dreamt of. I did not care about the outcome, all I cared about was whether or not I was taking appropriate action. I did not want to know what the point is, or if there is any. At yoga school, we were asked, whether we want to be part-time or full-time human beings?!! Sidelining desires or suppressing them, isn't the answer. Being over-ambitious and running after things isn't the answer either. So what is the answer? It is for each one of us to find out for ourselves. And while we do that, its important to express, to love and to live fully.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i like how you have written, simple, funny in parts and with a hint of sarcasm... most of all, love that you left the ending open, with giving any answers... nice...